|Hunnar Shaala Foundation for Building Technology and Innovations, Bhuj, India
(A Registered Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Areas of Work
Search this site:
|The GIDC housing project for urban poor in Bhuj.|
PEOPLE, PARTICULARLY THE POOR and the disadvantaged—such as disaster affected, slum dwellers, migrants, socially marginalised castes, physically challenged, etc. find it difficult to develop their habitat.
HUNNARSHALA helps people get together, develop their own relevant solutions and articulate their plan of actions. The people achieve this not as individuals but as a community. There are many people who are willing to do things hands-on. This is also a process of empowerment and results in habitats that nourish and enrich lives of its inhabitants. This process of housing through collective decision-making and efficient management results in speedier construction, and caters better to individual and community needs.
EMERGING SOLUTIONS are cost effective, culturally and environmentally sensitive. Hunnarshala through its various projects has developed a methodological approach to facilitate such community driven process through its support in form of technical knowhow, community organisation, linkages and collaborations, accessing markets, skill upgradation, material and financial management systems. An enabling policy environment helps outcomes of people centric approach.
TOWARDS THIS, Hunnarshala also supports the Government and other implementing agencies to develop their policy and action framework.
THE FOLLOWING PROJECTS are demonstrative of one or many of these dimensions of people centric housing.
1. Tsunami Reconstruction in Aceh, Indonesia
2. Post Earthquake Interim Shelters in Kashmir, India
3. Housing for the Urban Poor in Bhachau, India
4. Housing for the Urban Poor, Bhuj, India
5. Assessment of Post Tsunami Reconstruction in Tamilnadu, India
6. Post Earthquake Reconstruction in Banni-Pachham, India
7. Post Earthquake Interim Shelters in Kutch, India
8. Seismic Strengthening of Houses in Kutch, India
9. Facilitating Village Panchayat for Housing for the Poor, Kamaguna, Kutch, India
10. Post Earthquake Housing for the Paraplegics, Kutch, India
11. Supporting NGOs to Build Post Earthquake Houses in Kutch, India
12. Facilitating Housing for the Block Printers, Hastkalanagar, Kutch
13. Developing Public Space for Bhujpar Panchayat, Kutch, India
14. Panchayat Health Centres in Khesra, India
|© Hunnarshala 2007. Please contact us for citation, reuse & reprint permissions.|